9.28.2010

It could be worse, but I could have used a do-over starting on Friday morning...

Early Friday morning this past week I woke up with a massively tight right calf, like a nonstop Charlie Horse, which I figured was just because I started putting pressure on my foot after two weeks, which with my medical background I know better, but was ignoring my symptoms.  After getting the morning started with Ethan our dogs decided they need to make a serious effort to get the squirrel in the front, which resulted in Charlie breaking the middle, bottom pane of our very large front window and cutting his leg in the process, which really was bound to happen sooner or later, but why that day?!?  After getting the blood stopped on Charlie's leg and having my mom vacuum up all the glass shards from my carpet, cover my window with a pull-ups box (the only one I had) and moving the furniture in my front room we were finally able to have a better day.  My leg continued to have massive pain over the weekend and yesterday morning I contacted my podiatrist to see if this could be a problem or just pain from working my leg.  After 2+ weeks of being Chauffeured, I was finally able to drive and my second trip of the day was to the emergency room (with Ethan in tow, which thankfully he was a really good boy until Daddy was able to get there to take him home) for an ultrasound to rule out a DVT (deep vein thrombosis aka blood clot).  Apparently I should have knocked on wood before leaving my house for good luck because after 5 1/2 hours in the emergency room I was starving, tired and finally able to go home with a blood clot, blood thinning injections for the next week and Coumadin pills for at least the next six months along with now having to have my blood drawn every few days.  It could have been a much different result though so I will take my blood clot and hopefully have no more problems.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

You are one lucky lady. Next time follow your gut. It is better to be safe then sorry. Ok now I am done chastizing you. I am glad that you went to the hospital. Your yard is looking awesome by the way and congrats on the potting training of ethan. Maybe I will have your mom come potty train avery when that time comes. Well I hope that your foot keeps getting better.