6.02.2013

Starlight Run

For the past 8 weeks I have been training with a group through Legacy Health Systems, one of our local hospital groups, a couch-to-5k training program to run the Starlight run, which takes place just before the Starlight Parade, and is part of the Rose Festival.  My goal for this year was to be able to run a complete 5k by the end of the year, rather than half to walk/run.  The training was very helpful, running as a group once a week and on my own twice a week, while adding minutes of running time to each new week, and I am proud of myself for giving it my all and being able to push myself to run farther than I ever have before.  I will never be a marathon runner, but I do believe I will be able to attain my goal later this year.  Unfortunately, in the last couple of months after having my left foot surgery in December, I have developed a neuroma in my forefoot, which is essentially a ball of inflamed nerves, kind of like walking on a marble, that sends pain up the side of my leg.  I was able to run a large portion of the race, with 7,500 other runners, and over 100,000 people cheering us on, and do believe I did knock a couple of minutes off my previous times races, however, it isn't timed like the other races I have done so I don't have a final number.  This was our first year also attending the Starlight parade, or any parade as a family for that matter, and as it was a costume run, Ethan came dressed for the occasion and was very excited to run the last few blocks of the race with me.



   
The day also happened to be Ethan's last T-ball game and Jeff's 43rd birthday (which he really got the shaft this year other than his present, a 3-hr kayak guided tour for him and I this summer, but I was very glad he was there to support myself and Ethan on his day.

No comments: